Join Us for an Upcoming Event!
Creating a Network of Trails for All New Yorkers
– MapDid you know: roughly 350 miles of nature trails exist in New York City? These trails offer visitors a range of outdoor experiences and connect people to urban forests, wetlands, and grasslands. Since 2017, the Natural Areas Conservancy has been working in partnership with NYC Parks to improve the … More Info
The Power of Communication
– MapAt the Natural Areas Conservancy, our ecologists and researchers work to conserve and restore New York City’s 20,000 acres of forests, wetlands, and grasslands. But how does that work change as we learn more about the devastating effects of climate change? Better yet, how do we talk about such an … More Info
Looking for a past event?
2021 Night for Nature Virtual Gala
Join the Natural Areas Conservancy on Tuesday, June 8, 2021 for an evening celebration of New York City’s natural areas and urban nature. Hear from NAC staff and notable community members as they highlight the NAC’s most recent successes and share how our organization is continuing to care for these beloved spaces — especially as New Yorkers need them the most. We hope you’ll join us for this festive virtual event.
Get Involved With the Super Steward Trail Maintainer Program
The NYC Parks Super Steward: Trail Maintainer program is an initiative of the Natural Areas Conservancy and NYC Parks, with support from the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference.
Trail Maintainers are advanced, independent volunteers who receive training, tools, and resources that strengthen their efforts and enrich their experience. Trail Maintainers learn plant identification, invasive plant removal, corridor pruning, and trail maintenance skills — along with a variety of other trails and natural area management practices.
Trail Maintainers contribute to the stewardship and maintenance of our nature trails, as well as the overall health of our diverse natural areas citywide.
How to become a Super Steward: Trail Maintainer
- Become a Super Steward
- Attend a Super Steward Trail Maintainer training
- Adopt a natural area trail in a New York City park near you
- Walk through your adopted trail with a member of the Citywide Trails Team
- Commit to the stewardship and maintenance of your adopted NYC natural area trail!